Thursday, February 6, 2014

Koyaanisqatsi

I don't know what I was expecting when the movie began, but I was certainly surprised.  I didn't know anything about the movie other than Ana saying it was "dense," and she was absolutely right.


My first impression of Koyaanisqatsi was confusion.  Like I said, I didn't know what the movie was about.  I honestly thought that the time-lag video of various locations and actions was an extended introduction.  I kept expecting someone to start speaking, and segue into a "plot," or some other documentary-type discussion on architecture.  Instead, what we got was interesting in an entirely different way.

How would I describe the movie?  We discussed this somewhat in class, and I said "ominous."  By showing us all these high speed images of places and people going about their lives, it really gives you a sense of futility.  It showcases "the daily grind," and, at least to me, makes you question the "point of it all."  In the grand scheme of things, the tedium of these repetitive, monotonous activities are meaningless.  At the same time, the cyclical nature of the movie shows how similar we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment