Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Less Arrogance, More Empathy

Less ARROGANCE
More EMPATHY

My selection from the Less and More list by Rafael Gomez-Moriana is a basic perception of the world around you.  Both within architecture and without, there is a great deal of arrogance that we could do without.  I know I too often find myself abandoning humility when a stroke of pride comes along, but I try to remember how important it is to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

The Incomplete Manifesto for Growth outlines a considerable number of ways we can grow, not only as members of the design profession, but as people, and I think empathy appears on the list implicitly across many of the subjects.  "Listen Carefully," "Power to the People," "Don't be Cool," and "Everyone is a Leader" are a few examples in which we can practice architecture with less arrogance.  When I read As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner for the first time, I was struck by the seemingly obvious notion that we can never truly know another person like we know ourselves.  However depressing or sad that message might be at first, part of what I took away from it is that even though it may be an endless task, it is no less important.  As it states in the Manifesto, it's the process that's more important, not the outcome.

As architecture students, I feel we are failing to serve the public and failing to allow ourselves to grow if we don't listen and learn, allow others to take the lead on occasion, and ultimately try to look past our own bias.  Olon Dotson's 4th World Theory course last summer helped me to realize how well-suited architects are to take a stand for social equity.  As members of a profession that helps shape the world we all live in, it's important to remember that there are many others we are responsible for, and that we do not take that responsibility seriously if we aren't listening.

This photo was taken in an abandoned factory in Detroit while on field trip for 4th World

No comments:

Post a Comment